Thursday, January 31, 2013

It's ok to not like things...

   I have to admit that I have, on several occasions, spewed out hate on the internet. I shamelessly took on the easiest targets too, Twilight, One Direction and Katy Perry to name a few. I like to think that I've grown out of that and learned to respect other people's opinions and tastes.
 
    I haven't.

    I still tend to be very judgmental of people on the internet (shock). But I have learned to control my abusive and unnecessary comments. A little exercise I started doing was to think about what I had to say in an outternet situation. Would I go up to anybody in a bookstore and laugh at them openly for buying 50 Shades of Grey? No? Then I won't do it online either. I waste a whole two seconds of my life making that decision, but I like to think I come out of the other end a better person for it.
 
   I will get very defensive and offended when I see people comment hateful things on videos, pictures, songs I like. Yet I didn't think twice about doing it to somebody else. I didn't do it to make me feel better about my life or the fact that Justin Bieber has made more money in a year than I will my whole life, I just literally had nothing better to do. I thought his music was shitty and I had to tell the innocent uploader of that YouTube video that I thought so. Therefore, although I will continue to dislike many things, I will do so silently. I pledge to not be a troll. It's ok to not like things, but don't be a dick about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment